Tomorrow many us will be taking part in the 42nd Annual Earth Day. I remember learning about the environment and the effect we all have on it. For years, I have tried to change small habits in my daily life to become more green and reduce my own carbon foot print. What about my pets? There must be better choices I could be making to have greener pets. After some research, I found a few simple things I could do.
- Use biodegradable poop bags.
- Spay and neuter to reduce the overpopulation
- Making your own dog food from locally grown or organic vegetables. This eliminates all the chemicals and bi-products released into our environment during processing.
- Use chemical free pet shampoos and conditioners.
- Use natural flea control products. Did you know that according to the NRDC (National Resources Defense Council) some flea control products pose cancer risk to children up to 1000 times higher then the EPA’s (Environmental Protection Agency) acceptable limits?
- Re-purpose your pet’s hand-me downs. Most shelters gladly welcome your donations of gently worn toys, collars, leashes and beds.
- Switch to a non-clumping clay cat litter. The clay is strip-mined and the clay contains carcinogenic dust that your cat can digest.
Start with one and make it a habit, especially number two. We all can make this earth greener.